ILLINOIS FIREARM TRANSFER SERVICESo you’ve bought a firearm online from out of state and now find yourself in a position where you are out of pocket but with no firearm to show for it? Midwest Guns can help put your purchased firearm in your hands. Midwest Guns offers Illinois residents a Chicago-based firearm transfer service from licensed dealers.
What is a Firearm Transfer Service.. and Why Do You Need It?A Federal Firearms License (FFL) transfer – or firearm transfer – is legally required when you purchase a firearm outside of the state of Illinois, in order to take receipt of your purchase back home in Illinois. Why? Guns purchased online cannot be shipped direct to the purchaser; they must first be shipped to a licensed gun dealer or FFL holder, such as Midwest Guns. Our Chicago-based Illinois firearm transfer service assists customers to take possession of their out-of-state firearms purchases from licensed FFL dealers as follows:
- Purchasers must first fill out our Firearm Transfer form below or visit our Chicago store to complete the paperwork.
- Purchaser must complete an ATF Form 4473 for the necessary background check. This has to be done face to face in our store. You must bring your Illinois FOID card and Illinois drivers license or Illinois Sate ID. All the information on both ID's must match ,name and address.Legally, only the original purchaser may pick up the transferred firearm. If we suspect the transfer is an un lawful STRAW PURCHASE we will report it to the State Police and the BATF. A straw purchase is the illegal purchase of a firearm by one person for another person. A straw purchase is a federal crime. It can bring a felony conviction sentence of ten years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000.○ Payment: Midwest Guns charges a fee of $75.00 for the firearm transfer
- Once all paperwork is completed, we will proceed by exchanging FFL information with the original firearm dealer (the online dealer from whom you purchased your firearm).
- Once all information has been exchanged, the original dealer will ship your firearm to our Midwest Guns Chicago location.
- Please note: all waiting periods begin when the purchaser visits Midwest Guns location and completes the required Federal and State paperwork. Waiting periods do not begin when the firearm is paid for online or when the firearm is shipped.
- Once your firearm has arrived in Illinois at Midwest Guns, we will do all necessary checks and then contact you for pickup.
- At pickup of your transferred firearms, you will need to bring the following with you to our store: ○ Illinois FOID card and Illinois drivers License or Illinois Sate ID. all the information on both ID's must match name and address