FOID CARD (FIREARMS OWNERS ID CARD)To legally purchase and possess firearms or ammunition in the state of Illinois, all Illinois residents are required to have a Firearm Owners Identification (FOID) card. This FOID card is issued by the Illinois State Police to any qualified applicant. While we cannot issue FOID cards, Midwest Guns offers a FOID application assistance program to help you with the application process.
What is a FOID Card?Created in 1968 by the FOID Act (430 ILCS 65), the Illinois Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID) Card “identifies a person as eligible to possess and acquire firearms and firearm ammunition as part of a public safety initiative in the State of Illinois.” (Illinois State Police) The FOID card is NOT a “conceal and carry” card, i.e., it does NOT give a person license to carry a concealed firearm of any description. The FOID card is valid for a 10-year period from date of issue, at which point it requires renewal.
Who Needs a FOID Card?Any Illinois resident who wishes to acquire or possess firearms, firearm ammunition, tasers or stun guns within the State must own a valid FOID card issued in his or her name. Non-residents are not required to have a FOID card, and the FOID Act, 430 ILCS 65/2(b), also allows for some exemptions. You can find all exemptions here.
Who is Eligible to Apply for a FOID Card?To be eligible for a FOID card, the Illinois resident applying must be 21 years of age or have a parent or guardian sponsor that is eligible for a FOID card. All applicants must also NOT be prohibited from possessing firearms in accordance with state or federal law. In accordance with this, to find out if you are eligible to apply for a FOID card, you must be able to truthfully answer “NO” to the following questions:
- Have you been convicted of any Felony under the laws of this or any other jurisdiction?
- Have you been adjudicated as a mental defective?
- Have you been a patient in a mental institution or any part of a medical facility for the treatment of mental illness within the past 5 years?
- Are you intellectually disabled or developmentally disabled?
- Have you, within the past year (preceding the date of application), used or been addicted to any controlled substance or narcotics in violation of state or federal law?
- Are you subject of an existing Order of Protection or a No Contact/No Stalking Order?
- Have you, within the past 5 years, been convicted of battery, assault, aggravated assault, violation of an order of protection, or a substantially similar offense in which a firearm was used or possessed?
- Have you been convicted of domestic battery (felony or misdemeanor), aggravated domestic battery or a substantially similar offense?
- Have you been adjudicated by a court as a mental defective or ordered by a court, board or authorized entity to in-patient or out-patient mental health treatment?
- Are you an alien who is unlawfully present in the United States?
- Have you, within the past year, failed a drug test for a drug for which I did not have a prescription?
- Have you been admitted to the United States under a non-immigrant visa of the Immigration and Nationality Act?
- Have you ever renounced your citizenship as a citizen of the United States?
- Have you ever been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions?
- Are you a fugitive from justice?
How to Apply for a FOID CardState of Illinois residents can apply for a FOID card by visiting the Illinois State Police website and applying online.
Midwest Guns FOID Card Application AssistanceMidwest Guns offers a Chicago-based FOID application assistance program to help you with the application process. If you would like help filling out your online application, visit our Chicago store on Saturdays from 3:00pm-5:30pm and our staff will assist you. Please take note of the following:
- We do not charge you for this service; you will however be responsible for the online payment to the ISP in the amount of $11 for the application, or $6 for a name or address change.
- No appointment is necessary for our FOID application assistance service, however the schedule may be subject to change, due to the Illinois State Police website occasionally being down for maintenance. Please call in advance of your arrival on the Saturday you wish to come in to confirm schedule: (708)-447-4848 EXT 8
- Please come to our store prepared with the following:
- You must have an IL Drivers License or IL State ID with current address.
- You must have an e-mail address
- You must have a credit card, debit or checking account to pay the Illinois State Police fee of $11.00. Address change is $6.00. NO CASH ACCEPTED.
- For FOID address changes, you must bring current FOID and updated Drivers' License or State ID.
- If you have previously logged into the ISP website, you will need your username. If you do not know your username, you'll need a different email address.